Pages

Sunday, April 02, 2006

to vote or not to vote...

It’s time to transfer leadership and power to our next generation, it’s time to shower these young academics with new responsibilities, and yeah it’s time to hold elections. So be it!

Today was an election day for ACM members. We voted…yep, that was the reason we were there. So, we voted some *selected* people who turned to be NOT so *selected* and the ones who were “actually” selected, got selected and in that way they were elected! That’s the story. Sounds pathetic? It is!

Ah! Going uni in such an unbearably hot weather requires more courage and much more patience. But since it was about the future of ACM and my department, I decided to fulfill my moral duty and sacred task of voting for new office bearers, no matter how irritating, mind-perturbing and soul-wrenching it was. Sorry for sounding so pessimistic but that’s what I felt after all this process. During four years of my graduation I have always been associated with ACM’s elections in one-way or the other. This year’s election was missing thrill and invigoration, which previous elections had carried. The electrifying atmosphere, great campaigns, political alliance, information divulgence and above all the sporting spirit which had always been there, BUT this election was so devoid of everything. I didn’t even know who were running for the office till very last moment. No one seemed deserving. No one! I had decided not to vote but then changed my mind and voted for people who sounded apparently sincere. And yes, I cheerfully voted for the cute junior who was running for president [;)] but poor guy lost.

Anyways, I have to finish this thriller Angels and Demons (by Dan Brown).

No comments: