Pages

Monday, July 23, 2007

Married Bliss

I am now what they call nikah shuda =D. Spent whole Saturday dozing off. Last two days before nikah were quite hectic. Apart from being busy I was sleepless and restless. And Friday was completely full with the nuptial things…. bridal, makeover and whatnot. Finally, it's all done now. Thank God everything went fine.

The pivotal moment in my life was when I was signing papers. For someone pagan like me (yeah, that's what U thinks =D), I had never imagined that I'll go thru what my friends had called it - a spiritual nirvana. Almost all my friends and cousins asked me to pray for them after breaking the news that angels come down at the very time of nikah.

I remember my elder mamoo coming along with maulvi sahib, my parents and second mamoo in the bride room. They all appeared to be in hurry since time was quarter to 12. I started breathing deeply. I didn't hear a single word my elder mamoo (both mamoo were the witnesses) had said when he came for permission. Then he said loudly: jawab do and everybody started looking at me … tears started running down my cheeks. I just nodded and saw sis T weeping. But when I had nodded for the second time, my mamoo was like you have to say 'yes'. So, third time I said jee and then with tearful eyes I looked at mom sitting beside me, she was crying and I tried to hold her hand but she rushed to her cousin. It was over! No pictures taken! Maybe because of the sanctity of the moment or that's what I was told. I signed the papers (hope my all signatures match) and prayed for muskan. When all men had left, my cousins rushed to my side telling me to stop weeping as it would ruin my otherwise perfect make-up. Then I heard maulvi sahib praying outside and it was then I went thru this eccentric feeling. I silently prayed for everybody – starting from my friends and cousins and ending with my sisters and family. My brain was processing quickly – first their faces appeared and their problems. Though I didn't utter a word but my whole being was in state of prayer. I even prayed for my bitchy rival colleague S and her less bitchy friend N and sab, who had also contributed in making my life hell at school. But then, I didn't feel any animosity. It was as if my soul has suddenly become devoid of evil emotions. A catharsis! I am not sure if angels were present on the earth but I definitely wasn't!

P.S. No feeling of goodwill towards them now =p. Especially after registering the news that S called muskan all the way from thatta or from some godforsaken place on the event's night, just to make sure that muskan wasn't invited along with her. And after discovering my boutique that desperate wannabe has started shopping from there as well. I'll get back at her soon!!!

No comments: